AMDSB Character Education
Following three Community Forums on Citizenship and Character Education in the fall of 2005, the Avon Maitland District School Board endorsed a list of 10 attributes that have been identified as the key qualities to good citizenship. This program continues today in all Avon Maitland Schools and has expanded into the communities served by the Board as a number of municipal councils have embraced the attributes and named themselves “Communities of Character”.
The Board approved the recommendation of its Citizenship Committee to adopt the following character attributes:
We believe, model and practice the following character attributes in all Avon Maitland DSB schools:
- Fairness – Treating everyone in a just and accepting manner
- Honesty – Being trustworthy, sincere and truthful
- Empathy – Understanding how someone else feels
- Respect – Valuing self, others and our world
- Courage – Facing the challenge
- Integrity – Doing what is right and honourable
- Optimism – Choosing to be positive
- Compassion – Showing care and consideration
- Perseverance – Staying purposeful and committed
- Responsibility – Being reliable and accountable
Character attributes are the basis of healthy relationships.